Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Wednesday

     Waking up in bed is one thing. But waking up to an ocean and a pool outside your window is another.
     We started off the day with a wonderful breakfast at a crowded restaurant: El Cafecito. As hungry as I felt when we got there I was still not able to finish my plate of pancakes and fruit, and started to wish that Meghan and I had shared a plate instead of getting two separate ones. With our stomachs full and minds set on burning calories we sweated through the 10 yard walk (plus stairs) to the same beach as yesterday. After watching Meghan and Dad successfully stand up on the board while surfing yesterday, I was starting to regret turning down the offer to try it myself.
      So with a plan in mind to follow in their footsteps, after a limonata mineral- Fizzy Lemonade, I wanted to have my first surfing lesson, whether I was ready or not. Ray, the English speaking surf teacher that was with Meghan and Dad yesterday, taught me the 3 steps of how to get up while riding a wave. I was great at doing the steps on the sand, but while in the water, flipping over was what was happening 80% of the time. However I did manage to stand up twice, my feet on the board for only a millisecond but at least it was progress. At the end it was definitely a success, although more than half the time I was hanging off the right side of the board. Oh well. It was still a success.
   
 Out of the three books I brought, I finished the first one while sitting in front of the ocean, lemonade in my hand with the breeze drifting by. Meghan, next to me whispered, "Helen, we are literally in paradise." It wasn't really possible to disagree.
      We headed back to the hotel around 4 and chilled by the pool, reading and playing cards in the shade. Instead of being on a time based schedule, we took our time getting ready for dinner. We caught a cab around 7, and were taken to a separate beach where the waves were so strong and tall that only professional surfers could ride the waves. We sat at a restaurant called Los Tios (The Uncles) and ate dinner while watching the surfers swiftly zigzag through the water like they owned it; which they probably did.
     Instead of walking along the shoreline a little ways, we walked down the streets where the stores were open along with the sidewalks marked with little trinkets such as necklaces, dream catchers, or paintings. We walked to the end of the block where we were picked up by a taxi that took us to the bus station. While Mom&Dad waited in line to pay for tickets, I scurried off to the bathroom, and was in such a hurry that I didn't notice that we had to pay for toilet paper. Luckily, Meghan had my back and passed me some under the stall door, to which I felt rather stupid, and told myself I would pay attention next time.
     We found out that the overnight bus that we wanted to take was sold out, so we debated whether or not to take the 6 hour one, or spend an extra night in Puerto Escondido and leave for the trip to Oaxaca the next day.
     By the time our decision was made, I was tired and ready to go to bed. When we got back to our hotel, I think all of us labeled the day as a triumph and basically fell into bed. 

1 comment:

  1. Feel like I'm right with you but not getting a tan. Loma says,"arf arf- translation - thanks for not taking me near the water!" XO

    ReplyDelete